A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Here's another painting.

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Here's another painting.

Postby SER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Here's another painting.
Attachments
george george.JPG
george george.JPG (146.67 KiB)
SER

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DLKeur » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:18 pm

You know, I REALLY like this style, this picture even...except for the mentail conundrum it presents my
ain. What in the world is he sitting on. Can't be the toilet. But EVERYTHING about the elements and the talented
ushwork, is exceptional. I just have a hard time with placement of the sink verses the figure. Love the black stains in the sink. Love everything about it...except what I've mentioned. The pigment choices are spot on as they say in the UK. 8)
DLKeur

Postby johnwalkeasy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 pm

This is very good work. And all the white fits in very well, Also, he could be sitting sideways on the toilet.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:41 pm

That made me laugh when I read both of your comments about the toilet. He was actually sitting on a stool. I kept the sink in because I felt they belonged together, both
oken down and beaten up. Thanks for the good words. SER
SER

Postby Erika Takacs » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 pm

A fine portrait. It could win in a competition. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby SER » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:27 am

Nice of you to say Erika. Last month I did have him in a pretty large outdoor art show and won first place for him. I really need to step it up though. I am one of those artists that just stays home and paints. I am in my own little world, and really have no idea how to promote myself, or get my work out. I guess this is a start. Any advice from anyone?
SER

Postby DLKeur » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:07 am

Winning a contest is a good start. Enter more if you like to stay home. Enter some juried ones, some of the more prestigious ones, and, once you've gained a few wins and placings, you should find yourself approached by at least a few gallery owners. They take the work out of it if you are after modest sales. Art galleries -- good ones who are in business to make money -- will usually net you collectors and investors interest. If you want to go bigger, then you need to get enough of a sales record to interest an agent. This is, of course, the way to do it slow and easy, without having to spend hoards of money and time and effort, leaving you to devote yourself to your art.

(Don't forget to keep records, and the newspaper clippings of your contest wins as part of your portfolio.)
DLKeur

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:32 am

A wonderful portrait, great style but the stains and darkness in the bowl
of the sink look too contrived. Not like a real grimy and beat-up sink.
The sink should be as important as the man but the sink looks like
an afterthought. E
ehoeveler

Postby Michael Ortega » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 am

Another "slice of life" painting from a very talented artist. My only complaint is that your figures appear very detached. Even the one with the kiss...it had a cold feeling to it. I think this is more from your choice of color schemes that anything else.
But that is all just nitpicking...
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Postby SER » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Before I reply on your color comment Michael, I have to sit on it awhile. It's funny, after I read it I looked at my work, and yes, most of my portraits do use cool colors. Many of the photos I have used as references were black/white, so it was a conscious choice. Such a little comment has provoked me into a self-analytical mind frame. I think I will have a glass of wine and think on this one, or maybe not after I've had it. SER
SER

Postby Michael Ortega » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:15 am

SER wrote:Before I reply on your color comment Michael, I have to sit on it awhile. It's funny, after I read it I looked at my work, and yes, most of my portraits do use cool colors. Many of the photos I have used as references were black/white, so it was a conscious choice. Such a little comment has provoked me into a self-analytical mind frame. I think I will have a glass of wine and think on this one, or maybe not after I've had it. SER

Well it's just my impression. I still feel your art is wonderful. If you decide to use a warmer color scheme next time it will only illustrate your sense of adventure. If you stick with what you are doing: You will still produce superior pieces of artwork!
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:11 am

The use of cold colour tones in this painting is perfectly fitting the melancholic, reflective disposition of the subject. But it would be certainly interesting to see warmer colours in your future works.
Erika Takacs

Postby pablop » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:30 pm

great facial expression that goes along with the colors you used, I like it very much
"Portraits hung in empty halls, Frameless heads on nameless walls, With eyes that watch the world and can't forget."
pablop