A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

new pics.. whatcha think!?

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby SER » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Attachments
mi.JPG
these are my attemps at black and white paintings
mi.JPG (76.44 KiB)
SER

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DLKeur » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Media? (I would like to know that before I respond.)
DLKeur

Postby SER » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:38 pm

acrylic paint on canvas. SER
SER

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:43 pm

The first one is very nice, she seems reflecting on something very personal. You've captured it well. The second one is technically more challenging, but not as effective. Still impressive because of the difficult positioning. Black and white is working for me. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby DLKeur » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Top one is illustrative (you could sell it as an illustration to a magazine), and it is very good. The simplicity allows for the full impact of emotion to carry the viewer. Excellent.

The bottom is very commercially "hot," and while it doesn't have the emotional depth and spirit of the top one, it would definitely catch the eye of a teen magazine editor. It would also poster well.

Both works are well worth preserving and adding to your portfolio as representative works. Both would also fit in a gallery showing, but think city galleries -- NY, Boston, Los Angeles.

Develop this style and pursue it. You have a talent here. In fact, since the color work of the mother and son is your as well, it is summarily obvious that you have an ability to succinctly and completely capture "moment in emotion." You are creating "emotional moment" impeccably with a style that I think has a great deal of impact for the viewer. In my opinion, you will be picked up by a good agent if you can fill your portfolio with equally evocative works. Build it.

Personally, for me, your black and whites have the most commercial value. They fit the times and era. Your color work will be more one-up sales, I would think.

Just my opinion.
DLKeur

Postby ehoeveler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:37 am

Concur with D.L.. Yay, B/W! E
ehoeveler

Postby SER » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:25 pm

Thanks for the compliments and advice. Not only do I try to capture an "emotional moment" in my work, but I want the viewer to look at the piece and wonder what is on the mind of the person I have painted. What is it they feel? What are they thinking about? SER
SER

Postby Michael Ortega » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:54 am

SER wrote:Thanks for the compliments and advice. Not only do I try to capture an "emotional moment" in my work, but I want the viewer to look at the piece and wonder what is on the mind of the person I have painted. What is it they feel? What are they thinking about? SER

The black and white really works with these two.
What I lack in talent I more than make up for with enthusiasm!
Michael Ortega

B&W

Postby Carmelo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 am

The black and white paintings are effective in the way the eyes work and in the composition overall. Really impressive eyes.
Carmelo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury