A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Acrylic on Cardboard.

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Acrylic on Cardboard.

Postby eyefoughtthelaw » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm new here. I was really just looking for some contests, but feedback never hurts. I usually paint acrylic on cardboard and have had a few of these shown before. STILL, a new crowd, an online one at that, can give me useful advice.
Thanks. :)
-Libby

Image[/img]
eyefoughtthelaw

Postby Singular » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey Libby,
Welcome aboard. First thing I must say is that if you are serious about your art, I would consider painting on a surface other than cardboard. I would look for something more lasting. If price is an issue and you do not want to spend a lot on canvas, you could always use wood panels or masonite.

Now on to your images. I like what you have going on. It's apparent that you are not going for a photorealism look, but more of an anime or comic book character feel, maybe even album cover. That is great, but I think that you need to run with your strengths. In the first and third images, you have a playful, colorful thing working with the exaggerated eyes and lashes, strong lines. That works well. I think you can take that style to the next level if you eliminated some of the competition in the background, such as the hard black dots and curves in the second image and spattered white paint in the third image.

I see you have a good concept of color. The fifth image is a good example. It is also very clean and well done. If you combined the clean look and color of the fifth with the feel of the first, you would be going in a great direction, in my opinion.

Keep doing what you are doing.

all the best,
Joe
Last edited by Singular on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:50 pm

That's a great critique from Joe, I've nothing more to add. I like the last one the best, no distractions, just bare necessities. Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby eyefoughtthelaw » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Singular wrote:all the best
Joe

Much appreciated.
I'm definately not looking for photorealism, though i tried that a bit here:

(it's my face)

Anyway, yeah, i have canvases and quite a few big masonite boards as well, i just can't deny that cardboard is one of the most fun surfaces to work on. but of course, as you said, durability is an issue.

I guess what I'm most concerned with in my paintings is capturing energy and emotion. I'm not sure that I do that well, but I enjoy the challenge of it. As you said, however, taking this a bit more seriously in terms of making less distracting images would be a major challenge for me. I appreciate the advice. Thank you. :)
eyefoughtthelaw

Postby ehoeveler » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:54 am

You go with the first 3! Composition and color great.
Subjects very sympathetic.
Is the bottom portrait of you?
If it is, I don't see the likeness so I wouldn't call it
photorealism - in any case it is fairly realistic but still
has some cartoonish elements with the huge eyes and
the chin. I see you getting better and better, refining
your style as time goes on and eventually being
a very successful artist. E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby DLKeur » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Very distinctively you in style. Good. Excellent that you have, this early, that distinctive style. Therefore, I agree with Singular. Use lasting media.
DLKeur

Postby johnwalkeasy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:48 pm

Eye, I like your seft portriats better than the wind paintings. I think as artist perhaps we want to people to think we're a bit off. It,s kind of the way history slows us. So we buy into that. Perhaps some of us think it,s a way to get our foot in the door. And maybe that's true. I think the doors will be more open for you if you try to perfect your painting skills. The skills I see in the seft portriat work.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby eyefoughtthelaw » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:29 am

i love it.
thank you for the feedback.
i'm definately a young artist... i've never taken a painting class, so any feedback is awesome. :)

Honestly, thanks so much.
eyefoughtthelaw