A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Latest Painting (nudity warning)

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Latest Painting (nudity warning)

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:10 pm

"Andromeda: In the Shadow of the Kraken" 18x24, oils

painterx@hotmail.com

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Latest Painting (nudity warning)

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Nice painting of course. Now to some of the elements. I like how you succeeded in making the human form appear to actually be touching the rock with the use of the darker shading on both arms. The highlighting on the face and chest/breast area is superb in supporting the illusion of three dimensions. The facial expression of being resigned to her fate and hope of escape at the same time is complex drawing the viewer into her emotional world making the nudity in this painting totally secondary to the story being told. The water swirling around her legs would be better formed without the swirls and have the same type of ripples in the water around her. I get the idea with the blue water shading the legs but I think it disturbs the context of the green water. I think it should be the same shaded value seen in the blue, but it should be green. Anyway, this is how I see it. Like I said, a nice painting.
CarlOwen

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 am

Thank-you. I spent quite a bit of time trying to come up with something original for this character. I'm quite happy with the results.

In my color comps green didn't work. Using blue pulls the blue from the rock behind down below and helps to balance out the colors. Otherwise she'd be surrounded by green.

I came across this photo years ago and saved it to my computer. While working on various ideas for Andromeda I suddenly remembered this image and finally had the pose that I knew would bring something new to portraying Andromeda.

painterx@hotmail.com

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:23 am

Good morning Joseph. It is not nice to have some old photos laying around? Never know when one or more can be of use at a future date. Thanks for sharing. I can see the hands and light around the form in the photo as the influence in your painting. I understand your perception about the blue in the water. Nice painting.
CarlOwen

Postby Pooch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:23 am

This is great. It has an illustrator quality about it. Is that what you do for a living?
Pooch

Postby johnsmetalsculpture » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello Painterx,

I seem to see faces in most everything. The 1st thing that I seen was the large shadow behind the girl. And it looked to me it was the shadow of a man's head.
But of course it's not. The last thing I seen is an octopus.
Now maybe the man is a giant. And his name is Kraken.

John
johnsmetalsculpture

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Hello John,

I've received a number of comments about the sea monster's shadow. I played with various shapes and was unsatisfied with them. So I decided on one that was nondescript and rather circular so as to utilize the classic compositional design of the central figure inside a round shape.
painterx@hotmail.com

Postby painterx@hotmail.com » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Pooch,

Used to be an illustrator, but now I focus more on doing fine art classified as "imaginative reality." Though I would say much of what I create could simply be labelled "romantic fantasy." There's been a growing market for such imagery as realism comes more and more back in style.
painterx@hotmail.com