A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

critique wanted - what am I missing ?

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

critique wanted - what am I missing ?

Postby misspeggyartist » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Boardwalk 24x24 acrylic
I've self-taught and have been painting for several years and I decided to focus 2015 on only the ideas in my head, instead of
trying to paint what I thought I 'should' paint. I promised myself to do one per month and it worked out
pretty well. These are two paintings I completed. I'm happy with the composition and colors, but I feel like something is
just a little off ? Not enough contrast between lights and darks/not enough depth ? I welcome all critiques.
Hopefully I can upload them correctly this time. The first one is Boardwalk 24x24 acrylic inspired by the
NYC Highline/people watching. The second is Blueberry Sunrise 36x36 acrylic inspired by dreams, sunshine, floaty things,
and roadtrips.
Attachments
Blueberry SUnrise 36x36 acrylic
misspeggyartist

Re: critique wanted - what am I missing ?

Postby CarlOwen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 pm

While I have no clue what could be going on in your head to produce these works I can identify what is missing by looking at you other work of landscapes and still life paintings. Take any of these two paintings and place it beside any of your other paintings. Look hard and deep enough and you will see the difference. Take a day or two before you ask me what I identified. Happy hunting.
CarlOwen

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby www-ksart-se » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:56 am

Hello. Like you art. Im no master painter but I think these needs some darks they look a litle flat to me.
www-ksart-se

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm too emotionally involved with your work at this mo based on those darling penguins you posted earlier...
Hold on, lemme get some more coffee. OK, the top could use more dark definition - agree with Kristian.
Bottom painting is so very 80's - those cwirls say it all! My graphic designer friend used those in a real-estate ad
up here in Georgia. During the 80's...Thank You, Miss Peggy - We Still Love You! E
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Oh what fun. No one has seen it yet.
CarlOwen

Postby misspeggyartist » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks for your replies. I see that I wasn't wrong on my feelings about the paintings,
that they need more dark contrast.
I hesitate to change (ruin) them but I will give it a shot. (e : Yes I am the SWIRL-GIRL.
It's been a 'trademark' of many of my designs - 80's hadn't thought about that) but swirls
are energy/meditation icons and they make me happy.
(Carl : is 'it' brushstrokes ?)
I appreciate your input and welcome more.
misspeggyartist

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:18 pm

OH! DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THESE UNTIL YOU SEE! Another hint. Sometimes seeing is looking within.
CarlOwen

Postby misspeggyartist » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:36 pm

okay. brushes down. hmmmmmm.
misspeggyartist

Postby misspeggyartist » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:40 pm

s h a d o w s . . . ?
misspeggyartist

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Shadows? No. Please keep your brushes down until tomorrow. Have you compared your two new paintings to your previous ones like I told you to do? Or did you just brush it off? You must do this in order to understand how you are growing.
CarlOwen

Postby misspeggyartist » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:22 pm

yes I've been staring at them . . . I'll take another look tomorrow - thanks !
misspeggyartist

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Ha, Ha. My first reaction. Stop staring and look deep. Remember what you did when you created them. Look at your new paintings and remember the decisions you made creating them. I am in the middle of my own discovery at the moment and can't put my brush down, except to take a breath and think and check in on you. I am honored. Thank you for trusting me. Going back to work now. See you tomorrow.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:57 pm

OK, one more day and I will tell you what I see.
CarlOwen

Postby misspeggyartist » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:42 pm

in my still life paintings the focal center is obvious, in boardwalk too flat not really a 'center' a lot going on with the same 'depth',
blueberry had a center to me - the road leading into the sunrise - but maybe not obvious to others ?
am I getting warmer ?
misspeggyartist

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you for working so hard.
CarlOwen

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Don't know why this site slows down my typing unless I am in full editor. I am now, so moving on. It is obvious you are in a trap of your own creation. So after making you review your paintings and I see you can't see it. I am letting you out of your self imposed trap. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your new paintings. Actually they are very good. You have used only color to define your shapes. All of your previous paintings depended on black lines to capture, separate and define the color shapes within those lines.

You are experimenting with a new way to paint. I think you are trying to go directly to what you are seeing in your mind without the confinement of super describing the forms with those black lines. You are throwing off your security blanket of using black lines and are now nervous about that and don't understand what is going on as you are looking at a completely different type of painting. What is actually going on is that you have now developed a new set of brain cells on the right side of your brain by mentally questioning what you are doing and learning from what you have done. Lots of research on this. You can check it out on the internet.

So, keep at it kid. You do not have to remain trapped in the stylized painting method you have developed. In reality you can't anyway. It's the newly developed brain cell thing. So, I suggest you do a few more paintings of this new style without the black lines and feel the fear in you stomach and the thrill of completing the "New Thing".
CarlOwen

Postby misspeggyartist » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:11 pm

HA ! So obvious and yet not. Yes I usually start with a black-painted canvas and sketch on it with chalk, then paint, leaving bits to show through. These two canvases were painted with some leftover brown paint. I never realized the black was missing.
Thanks so much for your input. It is interesting to go back over these past few years of painting and see the changes. Changes that were never planned but they happen. I will research it and keep experimenting. This was fun - a little scary but fun. I'm going to post the two 'sketches' that I made before doing these paintings. One is a small collage 9x9. The other is a computer collage of photos I took in NYC and bits of other paintings.
Attachments
boardwalk computer sketch
blueberry sunrise sketch - collage
misspeggyartist

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

We all get trapped from time to time. Elizabeth and other artists on this site have helped me many more times than once. I am glad you took the key I gave you. Happy painting and discovery.
CarlOwen