A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Hawaiian Sunset

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Hawaiian Sunset

Postby mikewheeler » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Not quite done yet because I am not happy with the small waves on the bottom of the piece.

This is my first attempt at a "Monet" style piece with small brush strokes throughout the entire piece. I really enjoyed working on it though, and I learned a lot. Going to apply what I learned in future paintings...

Mike
Attachments
mikewheeler

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Hawaiian Sunset

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi, Mike - I'l LOving the blue/yellow water! Not sure about those clouds...just me. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:39 am

Hi Mike. I agree with Elizabeth. The clouds somehow rob energy from that magnificent water. I think it is both the repetitious cloud patterns and colors. They need to be just as varied as the water shapes.
CarlOwen

Postby mikewheeler » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:47 am

When I painted this I painted the clouds like they looked in the sky. One reason why I was excited to paint it was because I had never seen clouds form like that. I appreciate the comments but I'm very pleased with how they turned out. I took a picture of the clouds while I was there. I'll share that with you in this post when I can get to it.
mikewheeler

Postby CarlOwen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me Mike. I understand. I once stood in my driveway and looked to the east at the sky. From the north a large cloud gathering was raining what is called "walking rain" in New Mexico. The angle of the rain was a really nice curve swoop moving to the south. At the same time a large cloud gathering was raining the same "walking rain" pattern coming from the south moving north. The sun was shining behind me in the west making the clouds brilliant white on top and dark grey on the bottom with the rain various shades of light to dark grey. It looked like God was closing the curtains on the day. I shall remember what I saw forever. I tried to paint it. It simply looked like I made it up, it looked contrived, it looked stupid. I learned from that experience that there is a HUGE difference between looking at reality and representing it on such a small space the size of a canvas. I think the next time I paint it I shall use a canvas about 7 feet wide by about 4 feet high. That way human vision can get lost on each side of the canvas as it does in real life. I think scale is so important in painting such magnificent events. I could go on, but I think you got the point.
CarlOwen