A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Grumpy Face Portrait - WIP

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

Grumpy Face Portrait - WIP

Postby woundedheartsmakeart » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:12 am

I'm once again in need of critique. I know that there is something wrong with the eyes in this portrait, but other than that, I'm not sure how to move forward with it. Suggestions and critiques would be most welcome.

woundedheartsmakeart

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: Grumpy Face Portrait - WIP

Postby CarlOwen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:41 am

Have to think a bit about this. In the meanwhile, ask yourself some questions about what the intent of this portrait is and what kind of expression do you want to portray. You may solve your dilemma about how you want to express the eyes.
CarlOwen

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:51 pm

I see some crazy humor in those eyes...?
To me, she's smirking. I like the style. Thank You, E
ehoeveler

Postby woundedheartsmakeart » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:23 pm

@ CarlOwen
I tried to redo the eyes, but somehow adding more detail and re-sizing them in the style I have developed makes them look oddly intense. I'm still flummoxed by what to do about them. To me, the pupils seem to large or wildeyed.

@ehoeveler
I mean, yeah, they are acceptable with the facial expression, but they seem a little lazy eyed to me (especially the left), which was not intentional.
woundedheartsmakeart

Postby CarlOwen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:17 pm

OK, woundedheartsmakeart Listen up. You did not attend my comments. Your comments tell my you simple blew them off. Technical expression of art is important of course, but within the artist's sole it is the least important issue with the production of a work of art. You need to know what and why you are doing a particular work. If you do not believe you are strong enough to do something, you will not succeed. If you are supplicant depending on others you shall not express an independent work of art. If you refuse to understand life challenges you can never win. So, I suggest you hit the restart button with a name change to "strongheartsmakeart". See yourself as strong and independent and worth something in this world and then try to do this piece again. As a side comment, I have done portraits in the first try and I have done some after trying five times before I have succeeded. So, read these comments and make up you mind what to do next.
CarlOwen

Postby woundedheartsmakeart » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

@CarlOwn

I did not simply "blow off" your comments. I did indeed think about what expression I wished to portray, and it was one of earnest sarcasm. I think that the eyes do show that, but that that there is an issue with the symmetry that I can't quite place, and that issue is, to me, creating a mild lazy eye appearance. I do appreciate your feedback, and it was because of your feedback that I attempted to change the eyes to better reflect my intent. I was asking for suggestions about how to proceed because I have vision enough to make my art, but I only started drawing and painting 2 months ago and am self taught, so my skill set is rather limited at the moment. I was looking for perspective that I have not yet acquired. As for my user name, it reflects strength, not weakness. I have been struggling with debilitating surgical complications for which I have been unable as of yet to find someone to help me correct. I make art as catharsis, and each piece represents a moment of my life that I survived. As such, I believe that wounded hearts make art is a philosophy that I can stand behind. I do see your point about starting over with clearer focus, and I will likely revisit this painting in the future.
woundedheartsmakeart

Postby Sleepless-Puppet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:24 am

I think if you push both pupils a few millimeters towards the center the problem should be fixed :D Keep it up!
Sleepless-Puppet

Postby woundedheartsmakeart » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 am

@Sleepless-Puppet

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't think to move the whole pupil, only the iris. I'll try that out in my next revision attempt
woundedheartsmakeart

Postby woundedheartsmakeart » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:44 am

Fixed the eyes. Still more work to do, but the most pressing problem has been resolved I think.

woundedheartsmakeart

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:05 am

Thank you for the strength in your response to my comments. Doesn't matter if I agree or not, you have backbone. I honor your willingness to stand your ground. Moving on. You know I don't think the eyes are the real issue here. Look at that thin strand of hair on the painting's right side as you look at it. Thicken it to just a little under the volume of hair mass seen on the left with some additional hair strands. I think it would make the eyes look a little more balanced within the facial structure you have presented. And, sometimes a painting will simply demand to be a certain way no matter what you do.
CarlOwen

Postby woundedheartsmakeart » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Thank you Carl, I do not often get told that I have backbone. In fact, I rarely hear that word in any context; it has such wonderfully connotation. Your feedback, is as always, appreciated. I was actually thinking that the hair was a bit thin and that was going to be my next focus, so it is good to have that instinct validated. I didn't connect it to the balance of the eyes though; I will keep that in mind for my future paintings.
woundedheartsmakeart

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Well, I am surprised again. However, I believe you still have to explore yourself before you can focus on your art. It seems to me that you have much to say but are to timid to make the statement, I am here. I'm not going away. Deal with it. You see, I see timidity within an attempt to produce bold, in your face works of art. I suspect you do not have many in your inner circle who support what you are doing, even if they give platitudes of 'how nice' as they are thinking that you should be spending your time doing something else that matters. Have you ever studied "Frieda"?
CarlOwen

Postby JanGrubben » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:59 am

Whenever there is something wrong in a painting, but you can`t really put your finger on what it is. Simply hold the painting infront of a mirror. It always tells me clearly what needs to be fixed. Keep of the work.
JanGrubben