A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

The Temple

If you want real feedback on your work and don't mind people telling you their opinions, this is the spot for you.

Moderator: Moderators

The Temple

Postby Emile » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Here is The Temple.... a Pen and Ink drawing done with a Rapidograph drafting pen that draws a line about the width of a human hair. About 20x24 inches on acid free board. All freehand (no measurements, straight edge or preliminary sketch). Loosely modelled on a ruined Roman temple in Turkey I once saw a picture of. The technique is stippling, and it literally took hundreds hours....

Emile

Re: The Temple

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:25 pm

I believe this took hundreds of hours but what a welcoming
invite to the past (or future!). For some reason, this picture soothes me -
The beauty and regularity of these stones allow me to look at the space beyond.
Thank You, and Welcome to the forums! E
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Emile » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi ehoevelver, nice to meet you....

ehoeveler wrote:I believe this took hundreds of hours....

I pored over every stone, it was the last drawing I did about thirty-six years ago. They all sold back then but I actually bought this one back at three times the selling price. I had to have this one.... something about it calls to me. I suppose in the old days of the Guilds it would have been my "Master Piece" (or as close to making one as I'll ever get anyway).

ehoeveler wrote:....but what a welcoming
invite to the past (or future!).

Hah! Right, past and future, looking around at this point I'd say it describes both equally well.... and it's shown me something recently.

ehoeveler wrote:For some reason, this picture soothes me -
The beauty and regularity of these stones allow me to look at the space beyond.

Thanks! Right, the single vanishing point for the whole thing terminates in the doorway....

....so all the lines tend to draw one through the scene into the doorway and beyond, or that's my impression anyway. It's kind of weird really, it was all done very intuitively (I was only about twenty years old) starting with just the faintest outline of tiny dots and lots of holding up the board to look at it edge on from this angle or that to line things up as I went along.... don't know why I didn't just do a light pencil outline using a straight edge first, but for some reason at the time I just felt it had to be done that way.... just me, the pen and the board. After that it was really more like being in a trance.

ehoeveler wrote:Thank You, and Welcome to the forums! E

Thanks for commenting and glad you liked it.... Emile
Emile

Postby Emile » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Something else I find more and more interesting as the years go by.... I mentioned I sold it once (it was to an architect actually) and bought it back. During the time he had it he showed it to other architects and friends, and he even went as far as to enter it in "Art Expo", an art exhibition held at a local venue that featured entries from over two hundred artists from around the country. There was a fifteen piece minimum to enter and a jury had to approve the work prior to acceptance. In spite of the rules he submitted The Temple alone, and at the last minute the jury decided to waive the fifteen piece minumum and allow it in. Since I've been on line (about five years now) many other people have seen it too as I've posted it here and there on the internet.

What no one's ever noticed or mentioned while viewing or scrutinizing it, including architects, other artists, the jury, gallery owners and a wide variety of other people I've shown it to for whatever reason over the years (in person and after I got on the internet), is that The Temple could never have stood for even a moment. The long rectangular stones (with sculpted faces) bridging the facade in the foreground couldn't possibly support their own weight let alone that of the stones piled atop them and would come crashing down immediately. The second facade is made up of three arches, none of which have keystones, so they too would come crashing down immediately, and the same goes for the arches to either side of the doorway....

....only the doorway is actually possible.
Emile

Postby Frank Joseph » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Really a very good job. And very laborious, of course. Great :)
Frank Joseph

Return to I Am Ready For The Fury