A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

New to ASC, Here we go...

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

New to ASC, Here we go...

Postby Grayturel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Hello Everyone!
My name is Gray Turel, and I live and work in Portland, Maine! I work mainly in acrylic, ink, marker, collage, and spray paint on everything from scavenged cardboard to studio canvas. These two pieces are from about a year ago, and they hold a special place in my heart as what convinced me that I can do this we call art.
Igor was my first experiment with depth and layers. The background was first foray into what I call "visual cacophony," whereas words and phrases are layered upon one another until they become an abstract idea rather than letters representing words, much the same as room full of 100 people shouting different words would cease to have meaning and they would all blend together into one, cacophonous symphony. I was heavily inspired by Jose Parla's work while creating Igor.
Grillz was attempt at translating the doodles and drawings I would make in the margins of my notebooks in high school into a large-scale piece. His eyes are heavy and half-closed, his jaw slack and mouth open in a state of seeming emotional exhaustion. The words are a stream-of-consciousness, unrelated to one another and blase in their content. However, it is this lack of profoundness that betrays his fragile and fragmented mental state.
So, enjoy! I would LOVE to hear your interpretations of my work, as I revel in the thought-processes of others. Be honest, but be gentle, as this is my first experience putting my art out into the world. Thank you for attention!
-Gray
Attachments
Igor - 16 x 20
Acrylic, Marker, Spray Paint, and Ink on Canvas
Grillz - 29.5 x 38.5
Marker and Gold Paint Pen on Cardboard
Grayturel

Re: New to ASC, Here we go...

Postby nigelartist » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 am

I think your concepts and artworks are original and excellent. Both are well rendered and I find them interesting.

I like your concept of a 'cacophonous symphony'. Very interesting. Art and music, arguably, can produce a lot of 'noise' without disharmony.

'Cacophony without disharmony' I think is what you are trying to produce.

Excellent and keep up the good work.

God bless.
Nigel Goodwin:Artist/poet/songwriter/photographer - http://nigelgoodwin.crevado.com
nigelartist

Gallery: View Gallery

Return to Be Gentle