A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

The Photowork of Melanie

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

The Photowork of Melanie

Postby pyewacket » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:03 am

Well, here I am really for some critique over my photo work--I've been photographing practically all my life but didn't think about a career in this field until I got my first 35mm film camera back in 1977--a Nikkormat ELW, which believe it or not I still use.

I have had success in getting my work published beginning way back in 1980 up until 1996 when various personal matters came into view and my work came to a halt--After a a ten year gap, I'm trying to get my life back on track and am embarking once more in my art--I now have the mean to scan and digitize my work since my images are on slides

One of my favorite topics to photograph are birds, and I so seem to have a thing for Canada Geese--this photo was taken at a local park, in the fall, near sunset, giving the scene a nice natural glow to it

pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:32 am

Yeah, I can tell you know how to sling that cam around!
Keep up the good work. ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Gallery: View Gallery

Great cat photo!

Postby jimdlemons » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:34 am

Did you take the photo of the cat and the crystal ball? I like the duck image but I really like that cat one too. I can understand the time out of working thing, too well. I suffered depression for many years after doing successful work in the graphics field (designed the dish network logo, among other things) I have been trying to get back into it and, though it can be hard, I feel I am a better artist after living through that time. I wish you the best of luck.
Jim
jimdlemons

Postby pyewacket » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Wish I had taken that cat photo--it is my favorite and I use it as my avatar just about everywhere I post

I understand of what you've went through as well--no I didn't suffer from depression, but I've had panic disorder with agoraphobia--At one time, years and years ago, I was completely housebound--then in 1996, my mom created an over-population of cat problem, where while she created the problem, did nothing to help out--left it up to me to handle--twice we were threatened with eviction, and last time round was successful in finding places for the cats, and am only down to two cats now--uh--don't ask how many there USED to be-then over last summer my mother passed away, right smack in the middle of the second time round eviction issue--Yikes!!---
:shock:

I think a less strong person would have gone off the deep end already--LOL--So it's been one thing after another after another--and it's only been recently that I've decided to get my life back in gear again--but I'm realizing I have a lot of catching up to--that ten year gap has really cost me --it's like I have to learn the photo biz all over again.

Well enough rambling on---decided to post another pic
Attachments
otters.jpg
otters.jpg (103.96 KiB)
pyewacket

catching up

Postby jimdlemons » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Great otters, by the way! I understand the feeling of some catching up to do, after the 10 years of depression, it's scary how much I need to do to get back on track. But what other choice is there to live? I wish you the best of luck and keep up the great photos.
Jim
jimdlemons

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:42 pm

Mel, I like wildlife photos. I hope you post some of your bird photos. I belive thier is a good market for them. Hope everything will go well with you. Be happy. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby pyewacket » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:10 am

Thank you ever so much--Well since you seemed to like wildlife photos especially bird ones--thought I'd post another

This is a picture of a Golden Pheasant taken at the Flushing Meadow Park Aviary here in NY

pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:48 am

Wonderful bird! Colors in the sun... Get that new portfolio together, girl!ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby pyewacket » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:18 am

My goodness--this post is getting busy--LOL
I did get my work published but that was ten years ago--back then all I had to worry about was if my work was published one-time rights, exclusive rights, etc. etc--the world of photography has certainly changed--now I'm taking a crash course so to say in understanding the new jargon--managed rights vs. royalty fee rights---standard stock agencies vs. microstock..etc etc--a lot to learn--

I do of course have more birdie photos--but I thought with spring coming around the corner soon I'd post something more appropriate--next to birds I guess I do have a thing for flowers
A lot of my photos were done with no special lighting except sunlight on my windowsill--like this one.

pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:12 am

Love it, so 3-D. Would you be interested in posting your new-found info
about todays' Photo-selling process in the Tutorial section? ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby pyewacket » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:29 am

Okay--will do--just give me awhile to do that==I think the best way would to be also for me to list some of the websites themselves that give this kind of info--From what I'm reading for instance...the microstock form of selling one's photo work, quite frankly sucks...only way to put it...those are the on- line sites a photographer or illustrator can upload their work...supposedly everytime a photo buyer downloads the photo for their purposes the photographer gets a percentage...uh, yeah,...like a dollar...no kidding...I mean come on now...I think a photographer's work, or any artists work is work a lot more than that...
Then you have the other side of it...private photographers, like Seth Resnick of whom I've been in contact with...he is his own stock photography business and sells directly to clients...he also has a listing of prices on his site of what he charges...and this seems to be pretty much standard...I'll get into all that on the tutorial....This is just a teaser...LOL :D

Just remember....I'm still learning myself.... :shock:
pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:48 am

Thanks, I know you've got to be busy! Whenever you can.
'Best ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby Erika Takacs » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 am

Love your daisies, the playfulness of light and shadow. Beautiful. Are you interested in other subjects?
Erika
Erika Takacs

Postby pyewacket » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm

I have quite of variety of subjects in my photo collection actually--I only just got my own computer--a Mac--and I'm finding I have to do a lot of work from scratch all over again--like my 16 page listing of stock photography subject matter and my 14 page lisiting of my published work that I did years ago--I had all this info on floppies and even put the info in my e-mails but it just didn't translate wll into Mac's text edit--so literally back to the drawing board again--or should I say computer board.
Okay this is my showing off a tad--lol--this is my photo of a stray cat I had taken years ago--that cat is long time in the land of Bast--I later received the distinction that that cover received the Gold Award for Best Cover of the Year for a trade publication for a circulation of under 100,000-okay--not exactly National Geo..but...hey

pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:56 pm

I am awash in preciousness. Love the reference to 'The Land of Bast'.
ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby pyewacket » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Yes--I always seem to use that term for cats--I've had my own cats ever since I was about five--That cat was of a litter of four strays that I used to feed along with her momma--and for strays/feral types they were very friendly--I wish I could have taken them in, but I already had a bunch of cats then---
I hope to do more of that tutorial as soon as possible--I'm still reading up on things as I want to get the info as right as possible--
In the meantime----how about another photo??? :D

I like this one as it almost has a painterly quality to it somehow

pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:01 am

To me, that's how a photo should look! I agree about the painterly
Feel. I'm starting a series called 'Racial Harmony'; I went out and took
some photos today, will post them in 'Be Gentle'. Would love your input.
Thanks, ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby pyewacket » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:33 pm

Am looking forward to seeing those photos!!! :D

I don't know why--but since you liked that cat photo so much, thought I' post up a few more--these were all former "babies" of mine, and they have been in the land of Bast for sometime now--still miss them too--strange how each pet has there own peculiar personaltiies.

First is Tippy, then Taffy, then Jennie

Try to figure out of the three, which is my favorite shot!!
pyewacket

Postby ehoeveler » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:20 am

Sooo Cute! Would the middle one (Taffy) posing with his/her tongue out
be your fave? Let me tell you what I think they are saying. Tippy is saying
"Hi, I like you and I'm coming over". Taffy knows he is posing and that he really looks cute with his tongue out. Jennie is saying " I'm comfy in
my spot, but I might come out to get a scratch." Am I correct?
My cat Martini (B/W - white vest - long white whiskers) knows how to get what he wants by sticking that little pink tongue out and making his eyes
wide and kittenish. I will down load a pic of Martini called "Whisker Lips".
BTW, what kind of cam do you use, and how do you get those great shots?
ehoeveler
Attachments
Whisker Lips re-size.JPG
Whisker Lips re-size.JPG (57.02 KiB)
ehoeveler

Postby pyewacket » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:15 pm

Love the photo of Martini--he looks kind of bored--LOL--and wow, never saw such long, large whiskers!

Believe it or not, I still use my 35mm film Nikkormat EL-W camera I got way back in 1977--yup--still works, but then took really good care of it all these years
When I get the bucks naturally would love to get both a new film type camera and a digital--
I'm definitely thinking I'm in the wrong artistic field though--so expensive to be a photographer -- now I know what they mean by starving artist!!
I'm trying to get back into photo work big time on a real shoe string budget--I'm on SSI disability and only get $710 a month---if I can make just a few good sales of my work could help me in a lot of ways!
Not giving up--that's for sure! Too stubborn for that :lol:
pyewacket

Next

Return to Be Gentle