A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

pastel practice

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

pastel practice

Postby shelley wheeler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 am

i am not quite sure how to take this to the final stage...i am usually a sculptor..would love to hear any thoughts and ideas,meanwhile, i sure am having fun with all the colors
Attachments
shelley wheeler

Gallery: View Gallery

Re: pastel practice

Postby sharkbarf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:00 pm

I believe this is in the wrong section. If your looking for thoughts try "be gentle" or "I am ready"
I don't want to offend you by giving suggestions. If you'd like to hear my ideas let me know.
"Not conceded, just better than jail" - Dr. Spawk, FPC
sharkbarf

Postby Singular » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:40 pm

I have moved this topic in the "Be Gentle" forum, per the topic description. Critique away.
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby shelley wheeler » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks, joe. I think I wanted mostly to discuss knowing when your pic is done. Seems like you could just keep adding and changing forever, with rock you eventually run out. Sorry about putting jesse in the wrong forum
shelley wheeler

Postby sharkbarf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:54 am

I don't think there is a way of knowing when to stop. If art is a reflection of self, and the self is always growing, you could potentially work on only one piece your entire life.
"Not conceded, just better than jail" - Dr. Spawk, FPC
sharkbarf

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Shelley... do you have an image you are working from?
From what I can see, I don't there is anything outside of practice to critique your technique of pastel usage. Its not an easy medium but can be a lot of fun. Anyway, I think you have a growing knack for an impressionism feel to your art. I would develop that, its good!! If I was to suggest any part for improvement on this picture - I would focus on the area above the eyebrows... the eyeline and below is Rich... and it goes a little flat on the hairline, etc.

All the best - !
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
jenn_iam

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby shelley wheeler » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:52 pm

yes i know you are right, the photo i was working from cut off the top of his head....lol...yes and practice...yea...another reason to keep going..
shelley wheeler

Postby Haleyo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:50 am

You've got a lot of beautiful undertones going on. It's good to see that as a sculptor you understand color from a two dimensional perspective. Skin looks really dull and flat without all of those cool and warm tones and layers.
The color gives the skin depth, but even with that depth the face still looks dimensionally flat somewhat. I see a lot of darks around the edges, but blending those into the cheeks and forehead and on the left side of the nose somewhat would probably make it look more finished.
Obviously I don't know this person, so I can't say if it looks like him, but it definitely looks individual and defined.
Haleyo