A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Ancient Light

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient Light

Postby graffitiking » Wed May 12, 2010 6:18 am

Hi there,
I am new to ASC, and pretty much new to the art world. I always liked art but never thought I could make anything that anyone would want to buy. I was trying to create some art for a book of poetry I have been working on and I stumbled across what I call Paper Bag Graffiti, (which is also the working title of my book of poetry.)
This was basically done with spary paint, stencils, and some drawing as well. I am pretty close to being done with this but not sure if others will like it as much as I do.
I am in that spot where most artist find themselves at some point. The art is pleasing to my eyes but ultimately I would like to sell my work so I must hope that others find beauty in my creations. I will upload more later. Be honest please.
I have had no formal schooling in the arts so its basically whatever I think looks good.
Thanks
Ray
Attachments
ancientligh_small2.jpg
Ancient Light
ancientligh_small2.jpg (175.52 KiB)
graffitiking

Postby arlenemurals » Wed May 12, 2010 2:32 pm

I love it, very decorative arts, and faux finishy
arlenemurals

Postby graffitiking » Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks a lot,
I appreciate your kind words, could you perhaps explain the "faux finishy", I am not familiar with that and it might help me in my creative process.
Thanks,
Ray
graffitiking

Postby oilpainter2247 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:05 pm

hello ray ...................you did a nice job on this ,i love the color very much and how the eye moves around all over in this .........looks great .mike :D
oilpainter2247

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby graffitiking » Sat May 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks Mike,
It helps me to know that I am on the right track as an artist.
graffitiking

Postby arlenemurals » Sat May 15, 2010 5:03 pm

by faux finish I mean more of a decorative arts type feel to it, the background looks like a stencil over an interior wall finish, perhaps a glazing or colorwash
arlenemurals

Postby graffitiking » Sat May 15, 2010 5:30 pm

ahhh..I see..I hope that is a good thing..lol..as I said I don't have any formal training...but I just try to do what looks good to my eyes.
graffitiking

Postby Menolly » Mon May 17, 2010 11:42 am

I really like this, especially the way the space is
oken up by the beams of light - because you don't show a clear source for the light, it seems like you're either looking at beams of light
eaking through cracks in a wall, OR like you're looking at a
ightly-lit wall with shadows thrown across it. It's very cool.
Menolly

Postby bergina » Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Last edited by bergina on Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergina

Postby bergina » Fri May 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Hey Ray,
This particular work is not my style so can’t really comment with any authority so pass.
However I had a look at your gallery . You appear to challenge yourself in several styles and subject matter. I love the wolf and rock formations. You must be from the North or have a strong connection.
You are definitely blessed with some natural tallent but means nothing without the dedication and work ethic to get better. You also mentioned that you have only recently been painting and no formal art training. Not to diminish the value of a Fine Arts degree (wish I had one) but let your art work do the talking and yours is talking very loud. It’s great that you have been selling your initial original works however hope you have a thick skin as the marketing end can be
utal.
You are on the right track and that’s the dedication and commitment to painting. Where you end up, if you looked in a crystal ball right now you would never believe it. I’m looking at the same ball. That’s the power of dedication, passion and hard work and I see that in what you have done.
I can dig it !
Keep painting,
Al
bergina

Postby graffitiking » Thu May 27, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks so much for your kind words and
encouragement. I will indeed continue to work
for I believe this is what I was created for.
graffitiking