A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

My first finished face painting

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

My first finished face painting

Postby sablewand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 am

Hello, I have painted very little through out my life. This is a painting of my 5th grandchild May Lee she is 2 years old. When my own kids where little many years ago I tried to paint them but became frustrated with the way it was turning out so I did not finish it. So 25 years later I thought I would try it again. Feel free to give suggestions for improvements because that is what my goal is to learn and find my own style of painting. This painting is in acrylics on 12x16 canvas May Lee is sitting in sand under a tree in the shade. I have a very low skill level in painting so please explain any suggestions. I have completed very few paintings since childhood so I am eager to start painting and get some much needed practice. thanks for looking
Attachments
Sun Kissed at the Beach  smaller004.jpg
Sun Kissed At The Beach
acrylic paint
12x16 canvas
Sun Kissed at the Beach smaller004.jpg (121.65 KiB)
sablewand

Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby demac » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 am

I like it why have you taken so long in picking up the
ush again... :?

I think the part you are missing is the tonal effect (the light & dark). In her hair it only seems to be one colour but if you look at peoples hair its a couple of shades. Her face just needs a little highlighting really light tones just under her eyes and top of her cheeks and the round part on the chin and dont forget a little shadow under her skirt

Overall you have a great painting you have the majority of the painting right just missing that variety in tone. Look at Klaus Engel - Erin which is a really good painting of the tones on the face should give you an idea what I mean

Never put yourself down. I understand where you are coming from I was told I was crap art by my art teacher and I only picked up the
ush again two years ago and I now have a 3 month exhibition. :D You never know where it will take you just enjoy the learning curve and wing it thats what I do and the
ush will flow

Deanne Show us some more art and keep posting xx :D
demac

Postby sablewand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Thank you for the tips Demac, I am going to go back and rework this painting after I finish the one I am starting today. I will had more tone to the picture but they seem to get washed out when taking a picture. So here is a new picture that is closer to the colors but still not a match. Since May Lee's head is in the shade I went soft with her highlights but if you cant even see them I should probably for a stronger value. Thank you for your help. Devonna
Attachments
Sun Kissed at the Beach 004smaller.jpg
Sun Kissed at the Beach 004smaller.jpg (162.87 KiB)
sablewand

Postby demac » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Forget what I said you have it right full stop

I think its because of the way the photo was taken in the first pic which is rather differant in the second which shows all the highlights and has better colours and shows up the tones.

Ignore what I said you have it perfect :D

Deanne :)
demac

Nice

Postby rrsum » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Devonna,
This is really nice! I hope to see more of your work! It's also nice to see someone else from the Northwest join the community! My wife and I were up in your area this past Memorial Day.

Welcome and I look forward to more of your paintings!

:wink:
Rich Summers
rrsum

Postby Erika Takacs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Great start in what I consider very important: your subject has a presence. That's something that cannot be taught, the rest should come easily with practive. She also has volume, and your colours are pleasing. What I find a bit distracting is that
anch cutting through straight her pretty face.
Erika Takacs

Postby sablewand » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks for taking a minute and sharing your thoughts on the painting. Rrum I have been following your work for a while now and remember looking at your pictures you took on your trip they were incredible. I think your paintings are wonderful and good luck with your showing there in Idaho.

Erika Thank you for your encouraging words and yes that
anch is very distracting. That is why I choose that picture so that I could focus on the
anch and get over my fear of paint a face. Next time I promise no more
anches in any ones face but maybe I could find something else instead :lol: thanks DeVonna
sablewand

Postby BYart » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Devonna,
I think this is a very nice painting! I think overall you have a great handle on painting! Great job and I would love to see more of your work. :)
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby Erika Takacs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:52 pm

DeVonna, you're funny, but please don't find anything. :) Nothing to hide. :wink: You're very competent already.
Erika Takacs

Postby oilpainter2247 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:49 am

hello sablewand,,,,,,,by looking at this i think it is a wonderful painting

great job .mike
oilpainter2247

Postby xxbreezy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 am

I think it is totally amazing!! Such concentration oh her face and your color blending, choices, etc....are wonderful!! Well done!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Postby william » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:49 pm

I think this is successful first portrait. You really capture the sense of youth with the roundness of body and face. Your composition is well placed and I think the environment supports her very well. Nice contrast of warm skin tones against cool background tones.

Very well done.

William
william

Postby sablewand » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:08 pm

I wanted to thank each and everyone of you for your kind words of encouragement. When you are new and get the courage up to post a painting for the first time it is a scary thing, when you are not use to showing your art. I am not an experienced painter like most of you so thank you for your kind remarks. Thank you DeVonna
sablewand

Postby BYart » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Devonna,
i understand how you could be a bit hesitant to post, i was that way at first here too. But, you will find, as i have, that ASC members are very encouraging and helpful, you can feel comfortable posting and know responses will be helpful in their replies. At least that has been my majoritive experience.
I look forward to seeing much more of your work! :wink:
Barb

Paint the light... it will come!
BYart

Postby Juliep » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:59 am

Devonna,

She's beautiful and you've done a great job capturing her on canvas. It will be a keepsake for many years, I'm sure.

Sounds like you've got lots of catching up to do...atleast 4 more grandchildren.... and who know who else!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Julie
Juliep

Postby Nicoletta » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Devona.. I think your art is art... beautiful composition... beautiful emoition.. i would buy it... its looks like a masterpeice to me... the second one is better,,, more vi
ant.. yet the first one is beUTIFDUK AS WELL,, gOD bLESS YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN... EXCUSE TYPOS.. nIKKI
Nicoletta
Nicoletta