A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Rounding up the Remnants

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Rounding up the Remnants

Postby wjb_flip » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:10 am

This drawing is from last summer.
Attachments
Rounding up the Remnants.jpg
Rounding up the Remnants.jpg (50.49 KiB)
wjb_flip

Postby xxbreezy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 am

WOW!! Beautifully done!! Love sketches like this as I'm not really all that good at drawing animals. Great job!!
Linda
xxbreezy

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby pamearleywine » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:27 am

I think its a wonderful sketch with beautiful lights and darks. Your rendering of the horse is especially good. It looks like you may have struggled a bit with the man, but it doesn't distract from the overall drawing, which really is quite nice.

Pam
pamearleywine

Postby Harmonygirl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Nice rendering..... I just keep looking at different parts of it in awe... good work
art comes from the soul

harmonyinart.webs.com
harmony-in-art.blogspot.com
Harmonygirl

Postby bergina » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:37 am

WJB,
You are very skilled and this is a really exceptional piece of art. You did definitely trigger a reaction from me, probably a bit to realistic considering the topic. I’m not a cowboy so very unfamiliar with this type of practice portrayed in your art work. Because you painted this so real, here is my take . The horse and rider appear to be going at a pretty good gallop, all business. I was just wondering what happened to the young calf with the tight rope squeezed around his back end and obviously being frightened, hurt and dragged somewhere.
Maybe this is common practice where you live. I have great respect for the art work.
I guess there is something about the thought of a rope dragging a frightened animal that distracts me from the fact that as initially stated, a very nice art piece.

Al
Last edited by bergina on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bergina

Postby starah99 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:42 am

Wow...I love the whole thing. Very good work on the shading, that is where I struggle. The horse is just amazingly done!
Starah
There is no limit to creativity
starah99

Postby starah99 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:43 am

Wow...I love the whole thing. Very good work on the shading, that is where I struggle. The horse is just amazingly done!
Starah
starah99

Postby starah99 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:43 am

Starah
starah99

Postby kcortese » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 am

Hello, first of all, I think you are very talented. Great piece!

Buuut. I'm familiar with cowboy work and rodeo events. In calf roping, the horse slides to a stop when the calf or cow is roped so not to cause injury to the animal. Your rider looks angry to me, and looks like he is dragging this poor cow or calf to it's death.

Perhaps the horses legs should be stretched out in the front more to give the impression of a sliding stop. All four feet of the horse are to be planted on the ground, and dirt and stones should be flying. This is what happens in calf roping.

I really like the way you sketched this, but a little scary to an animal lover like me. I never did like the calf strangling part of rodeos. I know it's an absolutely needed job on a ranch. But not for enterainment.

Just my oppinion and suggestion. Hope you don't get offended by it.
kcortese

Rounding up the remnants

Postby Jeanette » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:49 pm

I read all the critiques, and looked at the work again. I don't see the horse as being at full gallop, I see it's legs in a "slowing down" mode..As is the head, suggests the horse is beginning to stop.. Maybe, if you had the Cowboy's head turned toward the calf, appearing to dismount, folks may not see this as the calf being dragged (Which I don't see) And a bit less dust, which may also give the illusion of the horse galloping..
Anyway, I love your pencil work, the work is great, and I really like the sky, lots of patience!
Jeanette
Jeanette

Postby wjb_flip » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 pm

thanks for your comments.
wjb_flip

Return to Be Gentle