A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Colored pencil drawing

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Colored pencil drawing

Postby gmoulton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:15 pm

I am new to this, friends and family like my artwork, but I would like comments from other artists.
This is colored pencil medium, aprox. 8x10.
Attachments
hummingbird1.jpg
hummingbird1.jpg (17.37 KiB)
gmoulton

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:55 pm

Very good color and details. I would think it would be very hard to draw a Humming bird in motion. Perhaps if you could find a way to make the wings look as though they were moving very fast. And a background would add power to the image.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Singular » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 am

The hummingbird is very well drawn. I think now your challenge would be to reduce the amount of white space in the background. So how will you do it is the question.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby TalaZoe » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:57 pm

I agree, there is alot of white, which makes the hummingbird look like it is floating in space. I love the detail and color-- perhaps you could apply these skills to incorporate a background of plants or flowers?
TalaZoe

Postby gmoulton » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks for the input, you are right it would look better with some kind of background. Some food for thought, thankyou ;)
gmoulton

Hi

Postby kime » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:58 pm

welcome, I am new here too. I like the way you colored the bird.
kime

Postby Nicoletta » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:35 am

wow I love the softness and blend of colors ... how did you do it? layering? what technique did oyu use Iam curious to know.. i loved colorede pencils and want to learn to do them better and I like what you accomplished... curious also to see what type of backround you use... this reminds me of the old botanical images so a simple backround of the sky and maybe a leaf or flower popping in somwhere would be cool... as far as adding mmotion that would be good.. yet as a image documenting the hummiung bird itself i think the motion thing isnt really a priority... peace and love to you.. sorry about the typos.. part of my art form.. Nicoletta
Nicoletta
Nicoletta

Postby gmoulton » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 am

thanks for all the great comments, i dont really have a specific teqnique,just kind of feel my way, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. backgrounds are not my strong suit, so any suggestions would be helpful. thanks again for looking......Gwen
gmoulton

Postby cottonstompconte » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 pm

I love the drawing, colors are great! I think a muted background would add alot and keep the beautiful creature as the focal point.
cottonstompconte

Postby gmoulton » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks, I am thinking about just a penciled black and white sky to make the image stand out. I will give it a try and re post when done.
gmoulton

Drawing

Postby BAReam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Very nice drawing... as I'm very partiall to these little feathered jewels makes it all the more satisfying. Many have suggested doing something with the background... ? My suggestion is to keep it simple; very simple. In my humble opinion less is definately more.... BAReam
BAReam

Highlight

Postby BAReam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Gwen; went back and looked again. If you would add just a tiny, tiny speck of white at about 10:30 (as you would look at the minute hand of the clock) to indicate your light source would make your bird look absolutely ALIVE :D
Should be placed just inside the edge of the eye is I read the existing shading. Method to test effect: take a piece of transparent mylar with a small white speck and place it over the eye and see if it adds to the drawing before making it perminent; and you can move it around to find the most pleasing effect. Hope this is helpful in some small way... BAReam
BAReam

Postby gmoulton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Looking at this I think you are right, I will give it a try. Thanks,
Gwen
gmoulton