A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Photography Still Life

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Photography Still Life

Postby NanMac » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:29 am

This is an image I've done just for me, as a reminder to always take risks, but I wonder if anyone else would respond to it.

It's a studio shot called Trudy. I'm posting two versions. Do you like them, either both, or none? Does knowing the story make a difference?

The woman was born in 1892. The Image within the image is the day she was married. These were her things. Laces and books, etc.
She lived on a farm with her parents. (no running water, no electricity.) At age 23, in 1915, she realized she was a washed up old maid doomed to working the fields along side her Pa. Not what she wanted.
She saw a newspaper ad from a man looking for a
ide and she took a risk...for those days, it was huge... she answered the ad. He picked her and she travel the country with him. They were married until he died in 1959. Her name was Emma Gertrude Bradley, but her friends called her Trudy.
Trudy2.jpg (117.18 KiB)
trudy3.jpg (169.59 KiB)

Postby Singular » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:46 am

I think they are both beautiful. Although both shots are of the same material, I get a completely different feeling from the both of them.

For me, the first creates a feeling of memories past and the story of a woman and what those objects meant to her. Who was she and what happened to her. When I see that picture, I want to know all about her.

In the second, she is not in the forefront. My attention is more on the objects around her, especially the wedding garb. But then peeking through the object, I see her hiding in the background. There is a bit more mystery for me in this one. I also like how you made the object blurry around the edges to draw the eyes towards the center.

Very nice photos.
Articles: 28
Gallery: View Gallery
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby NanMac » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:36 pm

Thank you. As I said, I don't find these really marketable as a commercial images nor really as fine art. I was making something out of something else and as always studio lighting is fun. Can never have too much fun in the studio. I like the images but I can see where they aren't everyone's cup of tea and crumpets.

Thanks for your response.

She died in 1979 I believe. Trudy was a quiet, sweet, mild-mannered risk taker who refued to settle. She had a core of steel, despite the laces and ribbons. I made this for myself to remind me that one doesn't give up being female just because one is engaged in being a Powerhouse.

So this a visual of my new Motto: Strong Women Wear Lace.

It hangs over my workspace.

Postby alejandro » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:30 pm

the first image is the best. they seem a tad bit hazy. was that intentional?

Postby NanMac » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:37 pm

alejandro wrote:the first image is the best. they seem a tad bit hazy. was that intentional?

Yes, I wanted the strong depth of field to add to the feeling..the way memories are soft and unclear sometimes, yet the main thrust always seems to stand out clearly. I also created a bit of 4x5 tilt, shift, and swing, in Photoshop to give me the depth I was wanting.

Postby jenn_iam » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:51 am

First off, my compliments... Very nice..
In general, I love the muted tones and the subtle softening that gives the viewer a sense of warmth overall in both shots.

The first one, to me, conveys a sense of emotion.. her happiness and the joys that she experienced. And/or perhaps that she overall was a happy / joyous lady that cherished even the smallest of treasures... This is more of a emotional uplifting peice. Nicely done.

Whereas, the second one conveys a more serious of note. Who she was in mind, not emotion. Studious, neat and beautiful but very much a mystery. Placing her in the background gives the sense that she's plain on the outside and complex in depth. Which intrigues the viewer to know more... I like this one the best.

Brightest Blessings,
May your world be painted in the Brightest of colors!

Jennifer Erin
-Artist/Illustrator / Film/Media Designer & SFX MakeUp / Storyboard Artist
(All mediums; Conceptual Design, Costume Creation, to Application)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby studio42 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:15 pm

Both are excellent. They are both well executed and yes knowing the story does add something - it starts to answer the questions you have created with these two photos. The first does seem to be a tribute to Trudy. The second has some mystery and to me is fine art!

Postby dianamillerpierce » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:54 pm

I very much like both photos but more so the second due to I think it provides a little more unique view of the concept.

Diana Miller-Pierce, www.trilliumstudio.com

Postby pyewacket » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:12 am

I love both images--they truly capture a sense of antiquity, especially the first one ---the outer softness in the photos also adds wonderfully to the entire compostion--really giving an ageless moment captured forever --all in all, you gave a wonderful tribute to Trudy

Postby ehoeveler » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 am

I can tell that you are giving tribute to this lady because her image is the
most focused in both pictures. 'Best ehoeveler