A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

A mother robin and her babies

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

A mother robin and her babies

Postby caters » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Happy Spring everyone. I heard the song of the early bird yesterday morning. Yes, I’m talking about the American Robin. The robin was the first bird I watched as a child. I love the stark contrast between the darkness of their head, neck, wings, and tail and the vibrant orangish red of their breast. I didn’t see any birds yesterday, but I think it might be because it was raining all day. Oh well, I’m sure I will see the birds soon.

I decided to draw a robin and her nest. This is actually the first time I’ve done a realistic drawing of a bird. I’ve done other realistic drawings in the past though. Here is my drawing:

What do you think of my drawing of a robin and her nest? I used colored pencil for most of it, graphite for the darker areas of the mother robin, and some black pastel on top of 2 layers of graphite to really get the head to look black. Did I blend well here? I tried to blend well for both the grass and as I went up the breast of the mother robin, going from a reddish brown to a light orange.
caters

Return to Be Gentle