A Singular Creation Art Community
promoting and showcasing all types of art and photography

Problems drawing real people

This is a forum where you can post your art work and ask what the world thinks. I am looking for general feedback, nothing too technical. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Moderator: Moderators

Problems drawing real people

Postby Jess » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:23 pm

I try to draw real people all the time, it is really hard for me. I am so used to drawing cartoons, so the human eyes are always to big, I think this drawing is ok, but I want to be better.
Attachments
Girlsface.jpg
Girlsface.jpg (76.24 KiB)
Image*Jess*
Jess

Gallery: View Gallery

Postby Singular » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:58 pm

Hey Jess,
Drawing real people is one of the toughest things to do, but you've made a great start. As long as you keep practicing and learn what it is supposed to look like in terms of proportions, you will be just fine. Take a look at the tutorial section of our forums here: http://asingularcreation.com/Forums/viewforum.php?f=43. There is a great tutorial for painting realistic eyes that I am sure you will love.

all the best,
Joe
Singular
Founder

Articles: 28
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby DLKeur » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Try blocking. Do a LOT of QUICK sketching. NO ERASING ALLOWED. Take a cheap sketch pad (one of those thick pulp paper ones) down to the pool or beach and do sketches of moving people, spending no more than one minute per page.

Blocking is using geometric shapes to get the feel of proportion between the parts. Ignore faces awhile and concentrate on the form and how the parts of the body work with one another.

After both of these exercises, then continue to do quick sketches, but use better paper, and use the eraser to correct what your eye wants to correct. Do NOT use stills of people. Always work from live subjects to imbue life into your sketching. This trains the
ain. Really.

Once the hand has mastered the craft, only then go on to working through a drawing.
DLKeur

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Jess, That is also my weakest thing to try to paint. Faces and hands. All the people I try to draw end up looking like Mars rejects. Once you able to draw faces and hands. Everything else is downhill.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ehoeveler » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:40 am

Again, I agree with D.L.. Work live, but I gotta tell you
you're off to a great start! Now, Practice , Practice , Practice!
Ehoeveler
ehoeveler

Postby DLKeur » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:43 am

johnwalkeasy wrote:Jess, That is also my weakest thing to try to paint. Faces and hands. All the people I try to draw end up looking like Mars rejects. Once you able to draw faces and hands. Everything else is downhill.

You think a woman's boobs are easy???! Not. And toes are killers, too. Then there's that angle of the hip....

*having a bit of fun at your expenst, John.* 8)
DLKeur

Postby johnwalkeasy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Yes, you are very right. The female body is very hard to draw and paint. I,ve try and try to do it. It,s hard to give the work that soft female look.
Perfection is what drives an artist.
The inability to achieve perfection is what creates a work of art.
John A. Barandon
http://steelbronze.vpweb.com
johnwalkeasy

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Phylis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:10 pm

It looks pretty good to me. The mouth might be to close to the nose but I'm not sure. I'm having trouble trying to draw the likeness of my granddaugther, it's really hard to make it look like her. She's only three. Any tips :)
Phylis

Face

Postby Carmelo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:48 pm

Looks fine to me, however, I think the Teacher has made some important points for you to consider. Drawing from life requires lots of practice. The tutorial Joe mentioned is exellent for eyes.
Carmelo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ~*DaShA*~ » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 am

I think that the best you can do is practice! You are in the habit of creating cartoons and exaggerations, and I'm sure it's frustrating to see them pop up in your work, even though you consciously want to create more 'realistic' looking individuals. I would recommend taking photographs, and attempting to draw what you see, as it is, and don't be so hard on yourself. Nobody is perfect and we all have our strengths and weaknesses! The way I learned to draw faces, and people, was to 'grid' (draw horizontal and vertical lines over the photo and paper), and draw the individual squares one by one. It felt less overwelming to me that way. Whatever method works for you, and I also think if you start feeling frustrated, you should take a
eak and try to become reinspired and motivated, and positive, possibly by examining photos. I hope I have helped you some!

P.S. I think the face you posted was adorable!

P.S.S. Also try viewing anatomy books, and such. They can really help you understand your subject, the placement, function and effect the muscles, tendons, skin, and bone.

And for the person who posted about drawing a 3 year old, I recommend the same advice, and keep in mind that children are under-developed, their features are relatively close together, set low on the head, with little definition in the jaw and cheeks in particular.

I hope this helps!
~*DaShA*~

Postby william » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:24 pm

This is a good start, like everyone else said it takes alot of practice. This particular work reminds me of how I started drawing people. I often found myself making the eyes too big or a head too big for a body. The best thing to do is work trough it. Also, make sure you keep working it until it's right for you. There are so many styles of art that eventually, perfect or not someone looks at your work and just loves it as it is.
william

Postby rips10 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:09 pm

Every one is very right, to learn drawing properly you must practice with life stuffs.But You can also do it by study skeleton of human like first you can draw da lines then draw the circles arround the lines then shape wiil come out.I don know whether I can explaned it well.Best luckRips10(I did da drawing for you in computer.)
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (83.58 KiB)
rips10

Postby cameraman_2 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:43 pm

one thing my professor said was when you are doing the face and any other part of the body is to draw the shadows. So you don't actually draw the mouth but the shadows around it. That has really helped me improve. Oh and practice, practice, practice again 5 drawing pads later you are still practicing. But you will be so much better than that first pad.
cameraman_2