+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

Feed
PreviousNext

Solo Exhibition - Brannen Bank, Dunnellon, FL

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:05 pm

I was thrilled to accept Brannen Bank’s (Dunnellon, Florida) offer to exhibit my paintings in their lobby for a month and a half. I spent much of this past week preparing for the exhibit and hung the paintings this morning. The Exhibit, titled “Creations: Of Nature and Man” opens today, June 13, and runs through to the end of June. If you are in the area please stop by and view the paintings. Email me and let me know what you think.

0 Comments Viewed 491 times

Preparing For An Exhibition

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:07 am

It appears I’m about to have my first solo exhibition. I’m excited about it and hopeful that the exposure it will give me will possibly lead to the right individual seeing my paintings. It’s not at an art gallery but a bank. The actual preparation started innocuously enough a year ago.
I had been showing a few of my paintings in a local gallery, an eclectic small gallery in the historic district of Dunnellon without much happening. I stopped in one day and the owner told me he was going out of town for a few weeks and the gallery would be closed. Even less would be going on then. He suggested I ask at a local bank if they wanted to hang some of my pieces. The owner said he knew of other artists who displayed their work there and that I should give it a try.
So, I grabbed my paintings and drove over to the bank. Once inside I was directed to the office of the Vice President. I asked if he would be interested in exhibiting a few of my paintings. He told me that the Bank would be happy to do...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 264 times

Art, The Natural World and A Crucial Moment for Civilization

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 am

I love to paint. I love to create paintings of nature’s beauty – of elk standing on a rise on a crisp autumn morning, its breath crystallizing in the cool air of a mountain valley. I love to paint sandpipers scurrying about a beach in search of lunch. And I love to capture my grandchildren on paper, enjoying themselves on a cold winter morning playing in the snow. I’m terribly afraid that we are slowly leaving those experiences behind as we rush headlong into the future, indifferent in our greed for more, to how we are degrading the world around us - consuming more, depleting our world of its beauty and natural resources and replacing it with pollutants that will leave our grandchildren with only paintings, photographs and distant memories of its past beauty.
On May 9, 2013, for the first time in human history, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere reached 400 ppm. That was higher than it’s been in at least 3 million years. It only remained above that historic level for a d...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 300 times

Artist Showcase, Crystal River Mall, Florida

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 am

This past week has been busy – some good and some not so good. On the “not so good” side, an older couple we are close to had some serious medical problems that we all worked through and are still in the process of resolving.
On the “good” side, I participated in an exhibition this past Saturday. The Crystal River Mall just north of the town of Crystal River, Florida, sponsored an Artist Showcase exhibition along with its usual twice monthly farmer’s market. This was the first time the mall sponsored the Artist showcase, and that was all due to the brainchild of Becky Nolan, the Mall’s Events Coordinator. Becky did a fine job and the Exhibit seemed to be a big success. She hoped to get a few local artists to show off their works and I believe she wound up with around twenty. We had a good time and met many people, had some good conversations about art and the mountains of the Southern Appalachians. Some very good artists also participated. The event was successful enough that Becky ha...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 231 times

Checlist For a Successful Painting, Part 4

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon May 19, 2014 8:40 am

Here is a distillation of all the thoughts from the past three discussions. Once again, much of this comes from The Simple Secret To Better Painting by Greg Albert. There are many fine books out there on composition and I have a few of them but Albert’s book seems to simplify a lot of it and for me, at least, it’s a bit easier to remember.

Boundaries and Objects
1. Is the painting divided into uneven sections?
2. Is the spacing between objects and groupings within the painting varied?
3. Is the size and shape of the objects within the painting varied and interesting?
4. Are the objects grouped into varied sizes?
Balance
1. Do the objects in the painting cross over the central axis?
2. Is the weighting of the objects balanced across the painting?
3. Is there a balance between different visual and energetic objects?
Center of Interest
1. Is the center of interest at one of the “sweet spots”?
2. Do lines and leads direct the eye to the center of interest?
3. Is there a value contrast around ...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 249 times