+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

Feed
PreviousNext

Kanapaha Spring Festival, Gainesville, FL

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 am

This past weekend was exciting – and very satisfying. Rita and I, and our daughter and grandchildren went to the Kanapaha Garden Festival in Gainesville, FL. This is an annual event at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens that draws thousands of gardeners to see all sorts of garden related offerings to embellish their homes. You can find all kinds of plants, from orchids to house plants to native plants to shrubs and perennials. There is also a great selection of tools and garden ornaments. Booths can also be found supplying all kinds of environmental and conservation information - and even some fine arts and crafts. One of the highlights is plant auction. And… there is plenty of good food.
We roam the booths every year in search of unusual plants for our garden. Our garden is pretty well filled up by now and we have to particularly choosy because there’s little space left – mostly just for perennials to tuck in here and there…unless we (usually I) find a plant that I just can’t live without. Th...

[ Continued ]
Last edited by RichardDevine on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

0 Comments Viewed 305 times

Heaven and Earth Art Exhibition, Ocala, FL

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:37 am

I was very pleased to hear that my painting "Morning in the Valley: Elk in Cataloochee Valley" was juried into the upcoming Heaven and Earth Art Exhibit in Ocala, Fl, to beheld on Sunday, March 30 from 3 - 6 pm. The Exhibit is to be held at the Interstate Commerce Building across from the Central Florida College Campus. The painting last was honored by being accepted to the top 100 of the 2012 Paint the Parks Competition sponsored by Coutts Museum in El Dorado, Kansas. The painting spent a year touring the area on exhibit. I'm proud to have it the show in Ocala. Hope to see you there during the exhibit.

0 Comments Viewed 426 times

A Visit to Historic Madison, FL

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

My wife and I took a trip to Madison, Florida this past weekend. Madison is a small town of about 3000 people just a few miles north of Interstate 10, east of Tallahassee. It’s about two and a half hours from where we live in Dunnellon. A little search of the web revealed it had a quaint historic district with homes that were 150 to 200 years old, so we decided to make the trip.
After a late start we arrived in Madison in early afternoon and stopped at a KFC for lunch, then spent the rest of the day wandering about the historic district taking photos and marveling at the beautiful homes there.
Madison County was founded in 1827 and named for President James Madison. The town of Madison (I’m not sure if it, too, was named after James Madison) was founded in 1838 from land obtained from Madison Livingston and became the county seat.
Most of the historic district is laid out around Range Street and about the centrally located Four Freedoms Park. Across the street from the Par...

[ Continued ]
Last edited by RichardDevine on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

0 Comments Viewed 278 times

There Are No Shortcuts

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 am

There are no shortcuts to producing good artwork – or anything of real value, for that matter. It takes time, patience, practice and planning.
I had an idea for a new painting. It was to be a watercolor painting of a historical house in a nearby city. I had already taken some photos of the house from different angles months ago, so I used them as the basis for a pencil sketch. Each time I plan out a new painting I go back through my books on composition to refresh myself and try to use the principles discussed in the books to come up with a good sketch. The idea is that if I repeatedly go over these principles and apply them to best of my ability, eventually they will become second nature.
After I come up with a sketch I’m happy with I start thinking about values and how they can be used to draw attention to the main subject – the house. Again, because I’m still learning (and I guess I’ll always be learning), I go to the books once more, to the discussions on value, and refre...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 257 times

Specializing is a Good Thing

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 am

My interests have always been varied. I’ve always hated to pigeon-hole myself, to restrict myself to one thing or one area. It always seems that I’m missing out on something else. I love to garden. I’ve been involved in horticulture most of my adult life and I’m still fascinated by plants – their myriad forms, colors, textures, shapes. I also like to build period furniture. I’ve built corner cabinets, tables, drysinks and cradles. I still love to get out in the shop and build something. I even spent a few years doing sculptures.
The same holds true with my art. I love paint landscapes, wildlife, architectural structures and botanical subjects. Even my medium of choice is hard to pinpoint. I’ve done oils, acrylics, colored pencils and watercolor. When I’m using one medium I am imagining myself doing the painting in another. I could be doing better in another medium. And, if I change to the other, I think I should’ve stayed with the first. I look over the works of other artists I admire,...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 279 times