+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

Feed
PreviousNext

For realism and control, try the Priming Method

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:00 am

I recently took time to write an email to Susan Harrison-Tustain, a watercolor artist who I admire for her detail work and control, concerning how she approaches different kinds of paintings using her unique priming method for watercolor paintings. I wanted to know if she used the same priming method for landscapes that she uses for her botanical studies. Briefly, Susan’s method involves first applying clear water to a section being worked on, allowing that to nearly dry, then applying a second layer of clear water. Care is taken to wet only the area to be painted, such as a leaf or petal, with sharply defined borders. When the area has lost the wet look but is still damp, she applies the color. If another glaze is desired on top (which most often it will be) allow the first glaze to completely dry first. Otherwise the new glaze will loosen the previous glaze.
This method allows for a uniform layer of color and enables the artist to apply graded glazes for nice uniform transition in t...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 255 times

New Painting: Lady Slipper Orchid - Paphiopedilum

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 am

I just completed a colored pencil painting of a Lady Slipper Orchid (Paphiopedilum) and wanted to post it for all to see. The plant from which this painting was made actually grows in the Garden of a north Florida estate I managed for many years. It seems to do well in rich garden soil and is a bright spot along a Garden Path. The painting is in my Botanical/Floral Album.
Last edited by RichardDevine on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

0 Comments Viewed 410 times

Cedar Key 50th Annual Fine Arts Festival

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 am

Cedar Key is holding its 50th Annual Fine Arts Festival April 12 and 13. This beautiful little fishing village and artist community is located just off Florida’s west coast about 50 miles southwest of Gainesville, Florida.
Cedar Key’s history is a story of boom and bust, and boom again, the area tormented by both economic and natural disasters, but has persisted and has ultimately become a magnet for artists and tourists alike.
Cedar Key has probably been inhabited by Native Americans since about 500 BC. The Timucua Indians lived in the area from 200 AD to about 1000 AD. Evidence of their presence can be found in the form of shell mounds scattered about the islands of the area. Spanish explorers pretty much replaced the Indian population by 1500 through wars and disease, and Spain remained in control of Florida in general until 1815, when Spain traded Florida to the US in return for a US promise to stay away from Texas. We know how that played out.
In 1842 Congress encouraged settlement of ...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 303 times

Heaven and Earth Art Exhibition, Ocala, FL

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 am

I felt much honored yesterday when my painting “Morning in the Valley: Elk in Cataloochee Valley” received 3rd place recognition at the juried art exhibition Heaven and Earth in Ocala, Florida. There were many fine artists represented there, with both 2D and 3D creations represented.
The Exhibition was the final in a series of three themed art events based on the classical elements Earth, Air, Fire and Water. It took place at the Interstate Commerce Center in Ocala and was the collaboration of two highly talented artists, Lauren Manera and Lisa Russo, under the partnership Bella Donna Productions. Lisa, as judge, did an excellent job of critiquing the very eclectic collection of artworks that included sculptures, photography, paintings in a variety of mediums and woodturning.
My thanks and goes out to Lisa for spending time with me providing much appreciated advice.
Lauren’s website is themaneragallery.com and Lisa’s website is lisa-russo-art.com. ...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 285 times

My Art Journal

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 am

I have started a new blog, My Art Journal, which is http://rcdevinefineart.blogspot.com/. Please check it out when you get a chance. It will be dedicated to Home and Garden Portrait Art and Historic Homes and Gardens and related discussions, but will also have other art related content.

0 Comments Viewed 434 times