+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

Feed
PreviousNext

Checklist For A Successful Painting: Part 3

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon May 12, 2014 8:32 am

The use of tonal variations is probably the most important aspect of composition. It’s an easy way to create interest in the painting and to isolate the center of interest. Tone also sets the emotional level of the painting. It can represent high excitement with high contrast such as strong sunlit areas and deep shadows or represent sadness or melancholy with a narrow range of contrast. As an artist, you have to decide what emotion you want to get across to the viewer.
In addition to portraying emotion, contrast in tones helps to lead the viewer’s eye to the center of interest. The strongest contrast should be around the focal point of the painting, making it easy for the viewer to see your point. Contrasts can be used as the pointers.
Remember also to vary the proportion of lights, darks and middle values to make the painting more interesting. Making a simple value sketch allows you to see how well balanced the painting is. Just use three or four values and do a few sketches. Pic...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 280 times

New Painting: Seven Sisters Inn, Ocala, Florida

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Wed May 07, 2014 9:40 am

I've started a new painting. This one is an architectural rendering of the Seven Sisters Inn in Ocala Florida. You can follow updates to the painting here in my Work in Progress posts and also in my Art Journal at http://rcdevinefineart.blogspot.com/

Here's some interesting history about the Inn
The Rheinauer House, better known as the Seven Sisters Inn, a Bed and Breakfast in the historic district of Ocala, Florida, dates back to 1895. Charles Rheinauer, born March 5 1846, the builder and original owner of the house, emigrated to Georgia from Germany as a young man. He married Emma Hohenberg in Watumpka, Alabama in 1890 and soon after they moved to Ocala, Florida. He and his brother, Maurice, set up a dry goods business on the south side of the town square. The men’s and women’s apparel sold in the store became so popular that the business expanded statewide into a clothing chain that lasted into the...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 230 times

Checklist For A Successful Painting: Part 2

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon May 05, 2014 10:48 am

Although I’m not always successful in using the Checklist for Good Composition formally, I do try to keep it in mind and review the principles each time I’m ready to start another painting. By going over Composition before each painting I hope eventually the ideas begin to stick and become part of the unconscious process. Even if I don’t remember everything, the more I remember the better. Much of this Checklist comes from the ideas contained in a book by Greg Albert titled “The Simple Secret To Better Painting”, published by North Light Books. Albert is Editorial Director of North Light Art Instruction Books and has been teaching art for more than twenty years. He has tried to simplify the principles of Composition to the idea of “variety”. We human beings need variety to keep us interested and variety is achieved through Albert’s simple rule “Never make any two intervals the same”. Intervals are all the elements that make up a painting.
So as not to make this discussion too long I’m going ...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 250 times

Work in Progress - Sandpipers, Update 10

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

Just completed the Sandpipers painting. Just a bit more touching up since last week to the upper left sand, the foam and the seaweed. On to the next painting! The update can be seen in the Discussion Posts or on my Art Journal rcdevinefineart.blogspot.com

0 Comments Viewed 391 times

Checklist For A Successful Painting

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 am

For a painting to be successful it must be able to engage the viewer and keep his or her interest. It must have the right combination of elements and arranged in a way that keeps the viewer from walking on to the next painting without any further thought. It must draw the viewer in and make the viewer become a participant in it.
There are many good books out there on composition and I have a few. Well, more than a few. I try to go through them before each new painting, so that hopefully I retain enough to put together a nice composition. I recently condensed thoughts from these books into a checklist for myself that I could use when putting the composition together.
My process runs along these lines. First I refresh myself on the most important elements of composition – my Checklist. Then I do some small, quick thumbnail sketches to get a general idea of what I want the painting to look like. The size varies but I generally make them 3” by 5” to 5” by 7”. It may be that I already have a ph...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 272 times