+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

Feed
Next

Sandpipers, accepted to CPSA Explore This 11

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:25 pm

I was pleased to find that my painting "Sandpipers: Canaveral National Seashore has been juried into the Colored Pencil Society of America's Explore This 11 Competition. I feel honored to be recognized along with so many incredible colored pencil artists.

0 Comments Viewed 2172 times

Sandpipers juried into Coutts Museum Paint the Parks

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:22 pm

I just received notice that my painting "Sandpipers: Canaveral National Seashore" was juried into the 8th Annual Paint the Parks competition sponsored by Coutts Museum in El Dorado, Kansas. Paint the Parks is an international competition that promotes our National Parks and its wildlife. Wildlife and natural areas showcasing the beauty of this world are fast disappearing, are very dear to me and I feel honored to be able to help keep them in the public's eyes through my paintings. I've been fortunate to be included twice in the past three years in this very worthwhile endeavor.

0 Comments Viewed 2157 times

Colored Pencil Portrait accepted into Colored Pencil Treasures

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:48 pm

I was very pleased and honored to find out that my colored pencil painting "Raine and Megan" was chosen for inclusion in Colored Pencil Treasures, Volume III due out later this fall. This annual magazine is published by Ann Kullberg, a master portrait artist who also publishes the monthly Colored Pencil Magazine. To see some truly great portaits in colored pencil, visit her website at annkullberg.com.

0 Comments Viewed 2190 times

Do my paintings look professional?

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 am

I’m never quite sure if my paintings are professional looking, and they never seem to look as though they belong in the same class as those of some other artists whose work I admire. I want my paintings to look as professional as theirs. And it’s not just one artist, but several that I admire – and their styles also differ from one another. What makes them look professional is a quality that I can’t define in words and, although some of my paintings are quite good, I can’t define in words why I feel my paintings don’t look professional. What does “professional” mean, anyway?
I am always searching for technique books and articles by these artists. When I can find them I buy the books or print out the articles. I study their layout, brush strokes, pencil lines. Sometimes they do have a method by which they follow that allows their paintings to look the way they do and if I think that method or technique will help me, I incorporate it. But even then, when my painting is just as clear and sh...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 468 times

St Augustine Nature and Wildlife Exhibit

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 am

This past Friday I received an email from the St Augustine Art association informing me that one of my paintings, Sandpipers: Canaveral National Seashore, had been accepted into the Association’s Fifth Annual St Augustine Nature and Wildlife Exhibit. Needless to say, I was thrilled and felt honored to be accepted into this prestigious juried art exhibition. In the words of the Association “This exhibit explores nature in all of its beautiful forms, from plant life and vast landscapes to the diversity of species that inhabit the oceans and great outdoors.”
The Exhibit will be held in the Association’s Gallery from July 26th until August 31st.
Although I am trying to create a niche for myself and specialize in Home and Garden Portraits and Historical Buildings, I love to paint wildlife and will continue to do so, creating one or two pieces a year.
The St Augustine Art Association is an old one, started in 1924 by the “Lost Colony” of painters. These painters were a part of a thriving co...

[ Continued ]

0 Comments Viewed 420 times