+ June 2014
+ May 2014
+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

St Augustine Nature and Wildlife Exhibit

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:18 am

This past Friday I received an email from the St Augustine Art association informing me that one of my paintings, Sandpipers: Canaveral National Seashore, had been accepted into the Association’s Fifth Annual St Augustine Nature and Wildlife Exhibit. Needless to say, I was thrilled and felt honored to be accepted into this prestigious juried art exhibition. In the words of the Association “This exhibit explores nature in all of its beautiful forms, from plant life and vast landscapes to the diversity of species that inhabit the oceans and great outdoors.”
The Exhibit will be held in the Association’s Gallery from July 26th until August 31st.
Although I am trying to create a niche for myself and specialize in Home and Garden Portraits and Historical Buildings, I love to paint wildlife and will continue to do so, creating one or two pieces a year.
The St Augustine Art Association is an old one, started in 1924 by the “Lost Colony” of painters. These painters were a part of a thriving community of artists that eventually grew into one of the largest art colonies in the southeastern United States. They banded together into the St Augustine Arts Club in 1931. In 1934 the name changed to the Arts Club of St Augustine and then to the St Augustine Art Association in 1948.
In the event you’re able to attend the exhibit, the Gallery is located in the historic district of this oldest American city, at 22 Marine St. Attending would be a doubly great, as you can also get a feel for the history of this city, the oldest permanently occupied city in the US, established in 1565. I know I’ll there taking photos for reference material. Maybe I can get some good shots for some paintings of historical buildings.

0 Comments Viewed 416 times