+ June 2014
+ May 2014
+ April 2014
+ March 2014
+ February 2014

Search Blogs

A Visit to Historic Madison, FL

Permanent Linkby RichardDevine on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

My wife and I took a trip to Madison, Florida this past weekend. Madison is a small town of about 3000 people just a few miles north of Interstate 10, east of Tallahassee. It’s about two and a half hours from where we live in Dunnellon. A little search of the web revealed it had a quaint historic district with homes that were 150 to 200 years old, so we decided to make the trip.
After a late start we arrived in Madison in early afternoon and stopped at a KFC for lunch, then spent the rest of the day wandering about the historic district taking photos and marveling at the beautiful homes there.
Madison County was founded in 1827 and named for President James Madison. The town of Madison (I’m not sure if it, too, was named after James Madison) was founded in 1838 from land obtained from Madison Livingston and became the county seat.
Most of the historic district is laid out around Range Street and about the centrally located Four Freedoms Park. Across the street from the Park is the impressive County Courthouse. The most well known historic home in the district is probably the Wardlaw-Smith-Goza House, also across from the Park, which dates from about 1860 and served as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War.
The weather was very nice and we managed to get quite a few photos. Many, I think would serve as the basis of fine paintings. I love historic homes and love to paint them. They represent a time when hand craftsmanship was more pronounced than it is today. A slower time when there wasn’t a rush to erect buildings as fast as we can, a time when great pride was taken in detailed handiwork. You can still find that kind of work being done today, but it is much rarer. Old homes well taken care of and new homes built with imagination and attention to detail represent the best in our ability to create. If they are, in addition, framed with thoughtfully laid out gardens, they make incredibly beautiful paintings. So, I’ll add the homes of Madison to my list of potential homes to paint.
Last edited by RichardDevine on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

0 Comments Viewed 294 times